Yield: batter for about 2 dozen pieces
Golden brown and crispy, deep-fried vegetable pakoras are a favorite Indian snack.
- Prepare your choice of vegetables. Cut those which require longer cooking into smaller pieces than the quick-cooking ones. Pat vegetables dry with a paper towel so the batter will stick well.
- Heat vegetable oil to 375° F.
- Combine first six batter ingredients in a bowl. Add water slowly, using up to 1 ½ cups, until batter is the consistency of pancake batter.
- Dip vegetables into the batter to coat. Deep-fry 4 to 6 at a time until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve at once with chutney or ketchup.
Note: Tart dried seeds of the pomegranate fruit are sold in Indian specialty stores. The seeds should always be rinsed thoroughly before use.
*Prep 15 minutes; Cook 15 minutes